I'm finding out lately that it's hard to "be still" in the presence of God and listen to what he wants to say. This past weekend, I attended another Beth Moore simulcast. Her key verse for the two days was Psalm 37:4, "Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart."
I had a difficult time thinking of my desires...not temporary cravings or wants...but desires or longings. I realized that I had been selfish in my desires. Please give me this...do this God...heal her/him...convict him/her...and so on. I asked all these things, but did I sit and listen to what God had to say about them, and really look at my truest desires? Of course not, I had "other" things to do.
What do I earnestly long for, deep down underneath my heart? I would say, "Well, my desire is to find a cure for cancer so people don't have to go through what my mom goes through everyday." My desire is for my mom to be healthy, cancer free, so she can play with her grandchildren, go to Bible studies, go to the mall, or even go to a movie. This has been my desire for so long. So I tell God my desires, but I don't listen because I can control things, right? If I don't tell God my desires, then I can't get a "no"??
Which leads me to the struggle of "being still" and listening to what God has to say whether it be through His Word, circumstances, or even other people. We live in an age where we get whatever we want at the snap of our fingers, the click of a mouse, or a phone call. We Twitter our thoughts to friends throughout the day, or people we don't even know. We spend time on Facebook, Myspace, or if you're like me...reading blogs and getting worked up about politics and what is going on in our country. I get focused on things I have no control over, and yet I still don't spend enough time in my relationship with the One who created me.
As Beth said this weekend, "God should not be a priority, He should be our LIFE." He's knows all things, He knows our thoughts, and He sees everything that is going on. Those of us IN Christ should be living with a Holy Passion for Him, praising Him in every season. We may not get an answer we like, but there is a purpose for everything...and our destiny may be at stake if we don't allow Him to tell us in His time.
We have to TRUST Him, and yes, I have a problem with trusting in something that I can't see, especially when times are rough. When people ask me how my mom handles everything with such peace and joy, I simply say, "Because she trusts in God." Some respond to that by saying, "Well, it's always nice to believe in something that's comforting." I want to say, "No, you don't understand. My mom should not be here from everything that has happened in the last few months. God is not done with her here yet. She may be suffering physically, but there is a reason and God will be glorified through it." My mom is praising Him through this season in her life. She rests on His promises that He will be faithful and deliver her from this season in His way.
This weekend I realized that the things that I continually ask for may not be given to me at THIS time. God's has a time for everything. Should I give up and stop praying for my mom because things haven't changed or should I praise Him every day that I get to spend time with her and thank Him for the doctors, and treatments that have helped her through these last few years.
Every single day I need to give my worries to God before I do anything else. Maybe I'll "twitter" my worries throughout the day. He gladly bears them, He wants them. He wants me to glorify Him through everything.
I want to delight in Him. I want to do good in this world. God has given me one life, one short life, and it's time for me to start living as if He is my Life.
This was written on Living Proof's blog this morning.
My Dear Sister
God has not overlooked you
He has not ignored you
He hears every petition
And intimately knows
The heart beneath it.
Give Him full access
To all your longings
Pray every single day
To become a person who delights in Him.
When it seems to disappear
Remember to check your JAW
Are you jealous?
Are you angry?
Are you worried?
Roll it all on Jesus
He's strong enough to carry it
Big enough to handle it.
Trust God with all your heart
Now leave this place
And go into the world
And do some GOOD.
Amanda Moore (Beth's daughter)
"Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart." -Psalm 37:4
Wanted to share that what you have written really hits home with me. I was able to be present for the simulcast too and Beth was truly inspired by the LORD's Holy Spirit! I am attempting to memorize Isaiah 61:1, the first memory verse from her Breaking Free study. I know in my heart of hearts that if I commit to learning and growing spiritually that my LORD will do His part in our relationship, because that is what He truly wants from each of us! Have a Blessed Day and know that all of you in your family are in my prayers! Beth is truly right about "Till faith becomes sight, trust God and do good." Thru His Spirit that is what I plan to do! Terry Roseberry
ReplyDelete