Friday, December 11, 2009

My 3-Day Journey

Thank you to all of you who made a donation, sent a letter, or just supported my efforts with words of encouragement. It is because of you that we are one step closer to a cure, and you made it possible for me to participate in the 3-Day walk. My experience was challenging, humbling, and tiring. I was so glad to be walking in honor of my mom! The Arizona walk had 1,700 walkers, and raised 4.1 million alone!

DAY 1
Our first day began very early in the morning with an emotional Opening Ceremony at Freestone Park in Gilbert. There were men and women all gathered together to remember those that have been lost to this disease, and to celebrate those that are battling and surviving breast cancer. Along the course, we were cheered on by an entire elementary school of students standing in front of their school waving pink scarves. During our walk, we were encouraged by “Sweep Vans” that were there to help take us to the next stop if we felt we needed to stop. The vans were decorated with very funny sayings such as “Walk for those Boobies” and “Save The Tata’s!” They would holler and cheer us on with their loud music to help keep us motivated. Renee and I walked a total of 18.9 that day…and our feet were ready to relax after that. We enjoyed a nice dinner, hot showers…and were ready to go to sleep at 7:00!


DAY 2
The route opened up around 6:30am, and after a nice breakfast we hit the pavement again! We did experience rain throughout the day, but kept on trekking! We ventured through the Ahwatukee foothills, and received encouragement (and free goodies) from the many cheering stations along the way.
During the walk you meet a lot of different people with their own reason for being there. Renee and I met a mother and father who lost their first daughter to breast cancer in 2004, and their second daughter in 2009. We also saw a woman that was walking in honor of her three sisters, all whom passed away from breast cancer. Just hearing these stories made me realize that I am not alone in having someone I love battle this disease. I felt fortunate that though the battle my mom fights is tough, at least she is still here with us. Towards the end of this day, the soreness and pain were starting to wear on me. We walked a total of 19.9 miles on Saturday.


DAY 3
On Sunday morning, I woke up feeling very anxious and determined to finish my journey. I couldn’t believe I only had 15 miles left…looked better than 19! The final route took us through Arizona State University’s campus, Mill Avenue, and Papago Park. Our destination was to Scottsdale Stadium where the Closing Ceremony would be. The crew and spectators were out cheering us on and helping us with whatever we needed. Due to me having very sore knees, I was only able to walk four miles that day, and then I had to be taken to the holding area before the ceremony. I was able to walk through the victory lane where people were standing and clapping, music was blaring, and the crew that was a part of the walk lined up and gave us high-fives.
Our final event together was the celebratory Closing Ceremony. Walking into the stadium was emotional of course, as I thought about what I had just done in honor of my mom. I had kept a picture of us with me the entire time, which kept me going even when I thought I couldn’t. The survivors that had walked on the 3-Day, came in last with their pink victory shirts on, and as they walked in, the rest of us held up one of our shoes to salute them for what they have been through.
After the ceremony I was greeted by my sister and nephew, and a good friend of ours, Jenet.
I left the 3-Day experience feeling good of what I accomplished and proud that my friends and family so generously supported this cause.
“Everyone deserves a lifetime” and you all are a part of helping to bring that “lifetime.”

Sincerely.
Jamie



No comments:

Post a Comment