Wednesday, August 5, 2009

In Honor of My Mom

On November 11th, I am planning to travel to travel to Phoenix, Arizona, to participate in a very special event called the “Breast Cancer 3-Day Walk.”

I will walk sixty miles over the course of three days with thousands of other women and men. The net proceeds will support breast cancer research, education, screening and treatment through the Susan G. Komen for the Cure and the National Philanthropic Trust Breast Cancer Fund.

Why walk sixty miles in three days? This cause is very close to my heart as my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2002. She had it successfully removed and lived in remission until July 2007.

Her cancer reappeared in her spine, and then spread to her liver. She has been receiving chemotherapy treatments since 2007, and this past May, underwent surgery to remove a cancerous tumor located near her brain. She recovered from the surgery and received radiation treatments through the month of June. She has since then completed those, and has resumed her chemotherapy treatments every three weeks.

I became aware of “The 3-Day Walk” through a good friend of mine from college. She thought it would something we could do in honor of my mom. What started as just a "maybe we could do it someday,” with your help, could turn into a reality this year!

My mom is my motivation in crossing the finish line. She is the biggest inspiration in my life, and throughout these past few years has had more strength and hope than I ever thought possible. The weekend will be special in another way. November 14th is her birthday, and I can't think of a better gift that I can give her than to walk in her honor!

The minimum amount I must raise is $2,300, so I need your help in achieving this goal. If I am not able to raise the money, I cannot participate in the walk. Would you please consider making a tax-deductible donation so I can walk in honor of my mom?

You can donate online at http://www.the3day.org/ (there is a link at the top of my blog). Just follow the link below to visit my personal fundraising webpage and make a donation. If you are unable to donate online, you can print out a donation form. The link to the printable form is located at the bottom of my webpage. You can also call 800.996.3DAY to donate over the phone.
Thank you so very much!

Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment