Saturday, August 7, 2010

A Birthday to Remember-the big 3-0!

Well, I've finally turned 30.  Seriously, where does the time go?  Wasn't so bad as some people make it out to seem.  I feel like I should have made New Year's resolutions or something...but I didn't.  I usually don't keep them anyway.  I did however, have a very memorable day.

My family are HUGE...and I mean HUGE...K-State fans.  Ever since I can remember, we've had football season tickets.  My parents met there when they were in college...my sister went there...even I took a few classes there (I went to a Christian college in the same town)...so you could say we bleed purple. :)

We are a fans of a very "legendary" Coach that turned the football program around after many losing seasons.  He "retired"...and then came back to coach last season.  The stadium is even named after him for goodness sake, so to us KSU fans...he's a legend. :)

My dad listens to sportstalk radio everyday and listens to the Bill Snyder show (during the season) that is on later in the week.  He is one to call in to those shows every once in a while. He is quick to defend his Wildcats or just to keep encouraging the team. 

Last fall, he called in during the coaches show to thank Coach Snyder for all that he has done for the football program, and that he and my mom were glad he was back coaching.  My dad also told him that since his wife is battling cancer, they sometimes can't make it to the games. Coach Snyder thanked my dad for the compliment and told him to call his secretary in the morning so he could have their address.

So my dad calls the next day and gives the secretary, Joan, their address.  Within a day or two my mom received a very nice letter from Coach Snyder inviting us to come meet him and that all we had to do was call Joan to set up a time.

Well, my mom ended up being pretty sick during last fall/winter due to some chemo stuff, so the timing of us going to meet him just didn't happen.  It was until just a few weeks ago that my mom finally got a thank you letter written to him.  In that letter, she had mentioned that if possible, we would like to meet him on my 30th birthday (never mind the fact that the players were reporting back and that it was media day that same week).

A few days later Joan called my mom to set up the appointment on August 6th.  At first my mom told her that I had already planned to go shopping in Kansas City so that day wouldn't work.  But after calling me right after she told that to Joan, I had her quickly call her back to tell her that I would love to meet Coach Snyder on my birthday (my mom says I "yelled" at her...but I was like hmmm...shopping or meeting Coach Snyder?? Duh mom!!!). :)

So mom called her back and we had our visit scheduled for 1:30 on my birthday!  It was an amazing experience.  I was the first one to walk into his office and he was standing behind his desk autographing a football (which we thought was for us...nope!)  When he saw me come in, he put the sharpie (I guess?) and came around and shook my hand with a nice smile.  We all introduced ourselves, and then for about 30 minutes we just sat in his office and talked.  He asked how my mom was feeling and then chatted with all of us.  I thought he might have offered Allan a job on his staff...but no luck. :)
Caeden was hilarious.  He was climbing on the couch, looking at every Wildcat logo that was in his office (and saying Cats...Cats), and then got down on the floor and starting spinning in circle.  Coach Snyder just smiled and laughed (he has a grandson named Caeden too). :)

The whole thing was just surreal.  Even seeing the football players just walking by was crazy.  It was truly an honor meeting him and he even told us to come up again!  He also wished me a Happy Birthday and then told Allan to take me out to dinner!!
 He was very nice, and genuine.  We probably visited him on one of the most busiest pre-season days ever and yet he was still kind enough to sit down with us and visit.  We will always remember this day...and will cheer on the Cats to victory this season!  Go Cats! :)

4 comments:

  1. Love it, love it, love it! What a special day for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason I am not a bit surprised that this is the best bday gift anyone could ever give you :) so sweet!!! happy 30th!!!! you old friend you!!! love you and great to see pics of you on your bday!!!! and your fam!! so precious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love it when "important" people like that take time to be real and show their appreciation for us! (aka: you, the fan!) Happy Birthday Jamie!! So happy it was memorable for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow... what a great day! I'm sure you and your family will remember this forever. Happy 30th Jamie.... may the next 30 be even greater!

    ReplyDelete