11 days into May, and it's already been a month to remember. I did not forsee that on April 30th, 2009 I would be sitting in a Stormont Vail emergency room, holding my mother's hand and watching my dad pace back and forth while waiting for a doctor, a nurse, or anybody to come and let us know what was going on. All we knew was my mom's family practioner had told her that the MRI she had in the morning had shown a "mass" on the back of her neck. They told her to pack a bag and head to the ER.
My dad called me at 3:15 and told me what was going on. You never want to get that phone call, especially when you know your mom is already dealing with cancer. I had just seen her that morning after her MRI. She had called and wanted to come over. Her tone was very weak, and soft, and I knew something was not right. I watched as she slowly stumbled up to the house. She came in and smiled, but not her usual bright smile, at Caeden and I. She fed Caeden lunch, and then sat on the loveseat just looking troubled. She had talked with dad about leaving the next day to go visit my sister in Little Rock. We were all supposed to leave Monday, May 4 to meet them in Oklahoma City, but due to change in plans, my parents thought they would just make the trip to Little Rock so they could see them longer. By the look in my mom's eyes she wanted to go, but deep down knew she was not doing well. I offered my advice and wanted her to make sure she could make the long trip. Caeden and I would not be able to go, and I knew she was disappointed about that. She continued talking and did not interact much with Caeden. She usually is on the floor playing with him, laughing, and hugging him. That day was different. She left earlier than she usually would. She told me she needed to go home and rest. I didn't talk to her again until I arrived at the ER.
I could not have imagined what the next 9 days would be like. My mom had surgery on May 2nd to remove the tumor that had actually penetrated part of her brain. The MRI done on Tuesday May 5, showed "no evidence of the mass in that area". She still does have a few spots on her brain that will be taken care of with full brain radiation therapy. Mom got to come home this past Saturday, she was anxious to get home and back to her surroundings. What a Mother's Day weekend to remember!
The hardest part of these past 9 days has been watching my mom recover from the surgery and trying to regain those normal tasks that we take for granted everyday. I miss that sparkle in my mom's eyes and am patiently waiting for that to return once she is off certain medications. She still has some confusion and what the doctor's call ICU Psychosis. It is so hard to see your mom have difficulty with this. I never thought I would be taking care of my mom at her tender age of 58. I wouldn't be anywhere else though, and am thankful that I am living so close to my mom.
I will always remember reading Psalms 121 to my mom before her surgery. What a role model of faith she is. She loves Jesus with her whole heart and praised HIM through this "fire". A lot of people have commented, "Why Roxie? Why does she have to go through this again?" I simply want to say "Because she can handle it." She puts her trust in God and rests in His promises to deliver her through this trial and her battling cancer is a part of her story that is not finished yet.
Thank you Jesus for being present all the time, thank you for your healing hand over my mom, thank you for blessing the doctors and nurses with wisdom and skills, we know that everything has a purpose and that your timing is perfect. We praise you through the good times and bad times, knowing that through all things you are there. Thank you for those little miracles that prove you are real and that you are true to your promises. You are our hope and our strength, may we be grateful to you in all things.
No comments:
Post a Comment